Sunday, November 29, 2015

Culvers

On the 14th of this month, I was informed by my sister in laws friend that her husband eats at CULVERS all of the time and he himself has Celiacs Disease and has had no adverse reactions from eating there. Even through the news was both exciting and promising, I was nervous and hesitant to give them a try (do you blame me?). We pulled up to the Culvers in Rochester Minnesota and it was then that  I decided to give this restaurant a try. I  was told to inform the person behind the register that this is for a Gluten Allergy, even though you and I know Celiacs is more than just an allergy. I told them I needed a gluten free bun and I would also like to include the mashed potatoes and green beans (as their fries are apparently not gluten free). The person behind the register totally understood everything I had to say, even went as far as to ask me how severe the allergy was to gluten, giving me the opportunity/chance to tell her I have Celiacs and that it is very serious. She told me that she would be careful basically. I had to assemble my  burger which I was totally okay with and honestly, it gave me more peace (in the cross contamination area). The burger was amazing and so was the mashed potatoes and green beans. I can safely say, I never got sick and I was happy to go again the very next day.

The next day was a little more challenging, I had a different lady this time and I don't think she understood the term (Gluten free) since after explaining to her that my order has to be gluten free, she asked me if I wanted a gluten free bun?. After I appeared a little annoyed, she quickly said sorry, because I think she realized why I was getting annoyed. If one wants to order a gluten free meal, one would assume that they want a gluten free bun. I really would not understand it, if someone said gluten allergy and then said they'd like a regular bun which as we all know contains GLUTEN. It would defeat the purpose. What ever the case, I ate at Culvers for the second time and once again, NEVER GOT SICK. I was able to speak with the manager at this specific Culvers and thank her for the ability to eat with my family again safely. I am so happy that Culvers has an option for us and I think I will be going to a Culvers again in the near future

Has anyone else tried their gluten free/gluten allergy menu and tried their buns (which I believe are UDI'S BUNS ) ?. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment